Monday, October 11, 2010

EuroBSD Con 2010

I'm on the wrong continent to go to EuroBSD Con. I frequently feel like I'm on the wrong side of the world for non-security conferences, but the right side for the security cons.

Anyways, it looks like OpenBSD had a good turn-out at this year's EuroBSD Con. At the time I'm writing this, 4 OpenBSD related presentations have been linked to on the OpenBSD site.

Marc Espie's presentation Entitled The long road to pkg_add -u was a good read. I think it shows some interesting details into the work he (and others!) have done to make OpenBSD's packaging system as good as it is. It's definitely my favorite packaging system.

The OpenBSD Update is short and sweet, detailing a lot of the changes made to OpenBSD in the past release (or two?). I forget how many cool changes there are from release to release since I use snapshots. They generally trickle in for me, and I get to enjoy them for up to 6 months before they make release. The smaller changes are easy for me to use, they just work. Some of the bigger things like new daemons may  not get much use in my household because I don't (yet) have a use for them. I need a bigger lab.

One of the big highlights is the loongson platform. It's a small MIPS-like netbook. I'd love to get one, but I don't really have a use for it. So it'd be another toy without a real use (kind of like my Zaurus). The disk UIDs are really neat. I've started using them in some of my hotplugd scripts. Definitely makes things a lot easier. iscsid is neat as well, but I don't have a use for it (yet!).

I'm excited by iked and ldapd, and hope to play around with them in the future. Krautcomputing is the funniest thing I've heard in a while. I've done that plenty of times, just didn't know there was a name for it!

The placeholder - something OpenBSD networking related presentation also looks good. I got a chance to see one of Henning's previous presentations at DCBSDCon 2009 and had a good time listening to the talk. Henning has an interesting sense of humor. I'm guessing this one was probably just as good or better. I'm still going through the slides of this presentation, so no real comments.

I also haven't gotten through Marc Espie's other presentation, Efficient distributed ports builds. No comments on that either.

Eventually I'll get around to looking for some presentations from the other BSDs, but OpenBSD comes first. Hopefully audio or video of the presentations will be released. I'd love to be able to see some of these presented.

No comments:

Post a Comment